Saturday, September 4, 2010

Scrounging in America

Nothing is as it seems, they say, as I sit here in my half of the duplex I own watching the latest extreme weather’s attack on our Northeastern coastline. Not only is the weather out of control worldwide, but so is the economy. We are facing so many burdens in these times I can hardly keep up with them. It’s enough to make you wonder if we’re being punished for unrealized sins as many ancient people experienced in the Bible. Even our new African American President seems out of touch with the reality this world is experiencing; boasting on television how the 67,000 jobs the private sector has added to the employment market shows how the economy is finally seeing a surge. Is he kidding? What planet does he live on? There are 300 million people living in America today with, according to the US Department of Labor statistics as of August 2010 tell us(http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm), over 14.9 million people are now out of work and many more are being added to this number every day. 67,000 new jobs being filled out of the 14.9 million in need is like saying adding one granule of sugar to the cake batter makes it taste sweet. It doesn’t even make a slight difference to the taste. You have to wonder if Washington even knows what’s really going on outside its’ stoic white pillars or they just wish to remain blind to reality.


Let me introduce myself to all the wealthy, politicians who sit on their plush expensive couches tonight as I sit on my couch that took me a year to pay off on layaway before I could even bring it home to enjoy its’ comfort. I am a 51 year old woman, born and raised in America, proud to speak of my country, raising two children on my own, college educated, and still believing in the American dream even though it remains hidden behind a cloak of poverty that is quickly seeping into almost every home around the country. The only facts that separates us from you is that we have grown accustomed to living this way for quite some time now while you all have increased your income at our expense. We live by scrounging for every extra penny we can find, filling our empty jars with spare coins so we can pay for our children's ski programs while your children complain they don’t have the latest $500 pair of designer ski goggles to wear this year and would you please buy them soon so they don’t feel like geeks wearing last years’ model. I get a headache just thinking about our differences yet I still have a smile on my face because I know I can survive through this mess you have allowed us to sink into because I’ve been forced to learn how to live this way. Like 90% of the other people I live near in this small eastern town and I’m sure most of the country, I’ve learned how to scrounge.


This is my first blog entry in a series of 52 weeks to follow. Follow me in our plight as we use innovative ways to make ends meet and produce more income in order to pay the bills and get our immediate needs met. I will be watching for your additional ideas as we go through this journey together. We may even get noticed and finally reality may sink in to those who appear so clueless to Americas’ needs.


Source:

Employment Situation SummaryTransmission of material in this release is embargoed USDL-10-1212

until 8:30 a.m. (EDT) Friday, September 3, 2010
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm
Last Modified Date: September 03, 2010

No comments: