Friday, September 24, 2010

Another Day Another Quarter

There are people spending money out there so there are still people making money right? I wonder if they understand what it's like to always be wondering if you're going to have enough to pay the bills in two months. I know people who have lost everything through job loss, divorce, and illness. These people consider it a miracle to just have a roof over their heads for another day! Do the people who have good jobs know how fortunate they are to still be receiving that hefty paycheck every week? Do they know that in today's economy that in itself is a miracle? Do they realize they are just a layoff away from losing it all just like the millions who already have?

I'm looking for a part time job to make ends meet since my ex stopped paying his child support 3 months ago. I've sent out my resume to numerous companies but haven't received any call backs yet. I realize they may feel they will have to pay me a higher wage because I am well skilled and college educated so I may not be the first they consider to hire. I watch the younger kids get the jobs because they're not as skilled and the employers can pay them much less to work twice as hard. I can remember a day when this was quite the opposite. We were told we really had to go to college to get the higher paying jobs, so we all did. Now we're left with huge student loans and no job to pay them because we're considered "overqualified" and would cost the company too much money.

So I'm left to figure out some other way to recoup the money my ex is no longer sending to help take care of his children. I'm a bit of a risk taker but I already do two jobs that are only commission based. This time I'm going to have to try to find something that actually pays a paycheck every week. Is this still possible I wonder? We'll just have to see. In the meantime I can feel my creative juices trying to conjour up some way I can use my talent to make something that may sell. The only problem is, it takes start up money to do this and we are tapped out.

In the meantime, we save the change because every quarter adds up to dollars and every dollar makes it possible for me to give my kids something they need. We shop at Market Basket for the best sale foods, we call on friends to do house repairs and auto repairs. We use every possible way to stretch the dollars we have as we work hard to make more. But most important is we keep on praying to God through Jesus for protections, abundance, and good health. We pray daily, on our knees and somehow He has continued to find us in His Grace because we still have a smile on our face, we still have hope and we still believe in miracles. How can we not? The miracle is we should have lost everything so many other times in the past 10 years and we're still here living month to month but nonetheless here. Now that's a miracle!

No comments: